Nasal congestion occurs when something irritates or inflames the nasal passages and tissues. These vary from infections (e.g., colds or sinusitis) or allergies and exposure to irritants (e.g., cigarette smoke). These irritations can cause either a runny or blocked nose.
Less commonly, nasal congestion has other causes, such as using certain medications, nasal polyps, sleep apnea, hormonal changes, and spicy food intake.
7 days of self care for nasal congestion
Colds make us miserable – our head hurts and feels heavy; it’s difficult to breathe. What’s worse is that a common cold ends up in bacterial infection for most people, which means more stress for the body and further exhausted sick days.
Preventing a cold isn’t easy. Colds are triggered by the presence of a virus in the nasal passages, and we all come in contact with various pathogens every day. However, certain conditions can make us more prone to letting the virus invade our bodies. Our defences are made poor by stress, cold/heated air, or poor hygiene. When this happens, the virus easily penetrates the nasal mucosa to enter the body.
When a cold hits, using hysan Adult Nasal spray is a quick and reliable way to clear up the nasal passages. It works within a few minutes, by helping mucus drain off so you can soon breathe more easily. This decongestant spray should be used for up to 7 days. Excessive use can actually make the situation worse, so after 7 days the switch to hysan care should be made to start the healing process.
When to see a doctor
For some people nasal congestion may be a common occurrence, yet there are times when it’s best to seek professional help:
- Unexplained symptoms that last more than 10 days
- Sinus pain
- A nasal discharge that is yellow or green or contains blood
- Nasal discharge following a head injury
- There is trouble breathing
Aftercare with Hysan care
Follow these steps to keep nasal congestion at bay:
- Avoid known irritants such as cigarette smoke and pollen
- Drink plenty of water as this helps to thin mucus
- Use hysan care to keep the nasal passages healthy and irritant-free
During a congestion, the nasal passages get damaged and so need help to regenerate. Irritated tissue is more easily infected and further damaged, and so it is important to also prevent re-infection at this time. Hysan Care helps heal irritated and injured nasal passages with its unique combination of hyaluronic acid and dexpanthenol.
Hyaluronic acid is naturally present in the body and can retain large amounts of water molecules. When delivered via the spray system to the nasal passages, it adheres to form a protective film that moisturizes and supports the mucous membranes. The ingredient dexpanthenol also provides additional hydration that heals the damaged cells. When used correctly, recovery of the nasal membranes can occur relatively soon.
How to use a nasal spray
It may seem like an easy task, but most of us aren’t using nasal spray in the best possible way. Here are the steps to follow to make better use of your nasal spray the next time you need it:
1. When first using the spray, the dosing bottle needs to be primed by pressing once or twice outside the nose. This ensures that the right dose is delivered inside the nasal cavity.
2. When spraying the solution inside your nose, take a deep breath as you push the lever. This will allow the solution to spread evenly across the nasal mucosa. It also helps if you gently tilt your head backward while you spray.
3. For best hygiene practices, it is best to wipe the nozzle of your spray bottle with a clean tissue or handkerchief after use. Also, note that for the same reason, the nasal spray should only be used by one individual and should be discarded according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Sprays spread more easily inside the mucosa than drops do.
The correct use of nasal sprays – starting with the decongestant hysan Adult Nasal spray for 7 days, followed by hysan care until needed – can help us keep the discomfort of blocked or runny nose at bay. It also stops the irritation from turning into an infection by caring for and healing our nasal mucosa. In this way, our natural barriers can heal, protecting us from new infection and inflammation.
Nasal congestion: Sometimes more than just a stuffy nose. (n.d.). Mayo Clinic. Retrieved September 28, 2021, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/nasal-congestion/basics/definition/sym-20050644
Nasal spray application (2015, May 27). hysan®. https://hysan.de/schnupfen/nasenspray/
Proper care for colds. (2015, October 10). hysan®. https://hysan.de/schnupfen/pflege/